Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Thursday 29 March 2012

Review: Pieces of Us - Margie Gelbwasser

 Title: Pieces of Us
Author: Margie Gelbwasser
Release Date: March 8th 2012
Publisher:Flux
Pages: 336
Source: Bought

Two families. Four teens.
A summer full of secrets.


Every summer, hidden away in a lakeside community in upstate New York, four teens leave behind their old identities…and escape from their everyday lives.

Yet back in Philadelphia during the school year, Alex cannot suppress his anger at his father (who killed himself), his mother (whom he blames for it), and the girls who give it up too easily. His younger brother, Kyle, is angry too—at his abusive brother, and at their mother who doesn’t seem to care. Meanwhile, in suburban New Jersey, Katie plays the role of Miss Perfect while trying to forget the nightmare that changed her life. But Julie, her younger sister, sees Katie only as everything she’s not. And their mother will never let Julie forget it.

Up at the lake, they can be anything, anyone. Free. But then Katie’s secret gets out, forcing each of them to face reality—before it tears them to pieces.(

 This book was so crude and contains VERY graphic content. Be warned: if you've read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, well, let me tell you you ain't seen nothing yet. There was a lot of 'eww' moments and 'did that just happen?!' faces thrown in there too. I think my mouth was hanging open for like 3/4 of this book. This is like 10 times as descriptive of THOSE scenes and 100% more messed-up and disgusting as that. (I do love Forbidden, I didn't find it as hard to read as some people.)

You see, I didn't like ANY of the characters in here. Either they were too abusive, too cynical, too stupid, or just plain sucks (sometimes literally). The four main characters were abused in a different way. I could understand Julie's character, and boy, this book made me so HAPPY that I don't have a sister. That's all I'm going to say. Both guys (they're brothers by the way), were just so weird and mysterious and jerks and I dunno, just total assholes.

I'm sorry, but that girl Katie, is a SLUT. Simple as that. I know slut-calling isn't great, but seriously if you've read this book, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. All the stuff that she's done and how she reacts and what she do is just disgraceful. This is NOT a female character you should idolize, or even feel sorry for. I spent the whole time wanting to kill her. I hate her THAT much. But you see, I can imagine some girls in my school being in that position. And doing exactly what she did.

Right... *thinking*... about the only positive thing about this book. I couldn't put it down. Don't ask me why, I sure as hell don't have a frigging clue. Maybe it's because I wanted to know the ending or maybe because it's so unbelievably messed up that I couldn't stop reading.

The ending was like this whole big thing blew up and called it WTF. There was no resolution whatsoever. On the other hand, I thought it was done deliberately by the author for the ending to be open for discussion; anything can happen.

Overall, this book is such a big NO NO for me. But for people who love crazy (and not in a good way) characters and an engaging storyline, then at the very least BORROW this book from a library. I don't encourage you spending your money, though.


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...