Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Monday 26 November 2012

Review: Flawed - Kate Avelynn

FlawedTitle: Flawed
Author: Kate Avelynn
Release Date: December 11th 2012
Publisher:  Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 336
Source: For review
Sarah O’Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago — James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she’s watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she’ll give it freely.

Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give.

Sam Donavon has been James’ best friend — and the boy Sarah’s had a crush on — for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she’s in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he’s going to save her. Neither of them realizes James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he’s not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact . .


I never expected to love this book. Hell, I didn't really expect to like it. BUT. OMFG. Let me just say this: it's the best contemporary YA I've read this year. By far. Everyone needs to read this, and not just because of the gorgeous cover, but because of the beautiful story inside.

First, let's talk about James. Honestly, I don't like him. I was always wary of him and didn't trust him, but at the same time, I feel a lot for him. This kid gave up his life for his sister. Even though he does some bad things, you feel so sorry for him and just want to HELP him. It's all so complicated and never did I want to be Sarah in this book. He's one of the most complex characters I've met in a YA book.

Sarah is an amazing protagonist and one that I admire very much. This is another example of just because a heroine couldn't fight vampire or aliens, doesn't mean she's not strong. THIS girl is. She's got that inner strength that in my opinion a lot of YA girls don't. I kinda wanted to punch both of their parents for what they've done to these poor kids. She loves her brother and her boyfriend so much but what if she can only choose one? Let's face it; her loife sucks. No matter what, she just couldn't win this. She's so torn between them.

Sam. Sam, Sam, Sam. God I love him so much. Normally, I don't like generally good guys in YA (don't judge me!) and I mostly fall in love with the bad boys, but good ole Sam totally won me over. He reminds me of someone I know. He's genuine, caring, brave and just a really nice guy. Oh,and he's hot aswell. ;) Sam is now one of my newest book boyfriends.

Kate Avelynn doesn't shy away from anything. Which means she's awesome. Really. BUT in some of the scenes at first I was like 'whoa, is this even YA?' but then afterwards I didn't really care as much since I think it made it even more believable. More realistic. Also, her writing is just addictive. I read this within two days and if it wasn't for school (stupid school!), I'd have finished it within a day. Oh wait that's not entirely true. I admit I was kinda scared to finish this and get to the last page, since a few bloggers have said they cried and stuff but then I couldn't wait any longer and had to find out what happened. I BAWLED like a baby. And this is a big thing for me because I NEVER cry. Not with books. Some might call me a heartless bitch but apart from reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, I never cry.

The ending was heartbreaking and powerful. I didn't think there could be  better ending. Nothing else would seem believable. I'm really glad the author decided to do this.

Even just writing this review is so so so hard because all I want to do is cry. It's one of those books that you will never forget, will always stay with you, and even though I love it so damn much, I don't think I can read this again. I know I won't stop crying if I do.

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this book sounds heavy. It's not something I would normally pick up for myself, but your review has convinced me otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review. I normally shy away from the intense YA books, like Sandra, just because they bum me out. But you really made feel the urge to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many fantastic things about this book, and I cannot wait to read this one. I usually shy away from intense books... I just can't handle them. But this sounds like a book I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, guys! Like you, I usually shy away from very intense books (I tend to go for very fun/light ones) but I just couldn't stop reading this!

    Hope when you guys read it you'll enjoy it as much as I did! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I like an intense read like this every once in a while. Not too often, though, because I'm not so sure my heart would be able to take it. Still--I have not heard ANYTHING bad about this book. Not one thing. So I seriously want to read it. I'm waiting for the paperback, though.

    And James...I just KNOW he's going to be a character I love and hate simultaneously. Brothers that do their best for their sisters always get me in books. Probably has something to so with the fact that I have 3 brothers. I don't know. All I know is I have a feeling I'm going to love this book.

    But it's going to break my heart.

    If you cried, Jana, goodness knows I'm going to fall to pieces for this book. Is the ending really that sad? WHAT IS GOING ON? I need to know these things.

    Hehe.

    ♥Jessica(:
    Just a Booklover

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...