Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Friday 13 January 2012

Review: Blood Red Road - Moira Young

Author: Moira Young
Release Date: June 2nd 2011
Publisher: Marion Lloyd Books

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. 
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

I kept putting this book on hold, and went through ten or more books before reading this one (since I got it during Christmas) and that is because of the language. I kept repeating to myself "How the hell do they expect me to read this?!?" It’s written in Saba’s point-of-view and dialect. Which means there’s no speech marks (which confused the hell outta me when I began reading it) and most of the spelling was incorrect (which bugged me 'cause I’m the spelling master) but I can tell you guys, stick around for 20 pages and you get used to it. I was reading it non-stop and it never bothered me again. It felt oddly natural and the flow and pace was excellent. Saba’s voice was direct and concise. Which I love - she gets to the point, not one of those narrator's prose that goes on and on and most of the time can be said in just one simple short sentence.

I shamelessly admit, the first quarter was pretty slllooowwww and boring and I thought I was going to give up. I'm pretty sure you're going to do the same. But don't. Because the more you hate this book at the beginning, the more you'll love it at the end.

I cared deeply and love each and every character Saba met along the way. You know that saying 'Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination. (Don Williams, Jr.)". <- That sums up Blood Red Road perfectly. The obstacles and twist and turns of Saba's journey made this book. Not the destination. Not her goal. Not really about finding her brother, even if that's the primary reason why she was there in the first place. But Emmi, Jack, the Free Hawks, Ike and Tommo all gained a special place in my heart. This dystopian book is a must read for any lover of YA literature. 

When they get to Hopetown, that’s where the real action and amazing-ness of this book commence. The pace was fast, heart-pounding and the action scenes were executed extremely well. Also, the romance. GUYS. You know how much I'm a sucker for romance. And this book was pretty HAWT. Jack was arrogant, cocky, charming and everything else that I love. He's a perfect match for Saba, he brings her down when she gets too 'pig-headed' and 'rude'. I adore how he knows what to say to Saba that makes her re-think herself and her actions. He doesn't back down. Jack is defo one of my top fictional book boyfriends.
 

There was two scenes that broke my heart at the end, and nearly moved me to tears. That is proof that I became emotionally attached to these characters even though I didn’t know them for long. The character developments was spectacular.
 

Oh, just one simple note: I love the UK cover (pictured) that I own much more than the US hardcover. I love that this cover is very symbolic (and doesn’t have people or people parts in it – I am soo tired of them). I love the white and red and black simple coordination and it stands out from my other hundred books in my bookshelves.

I wish I’ve read this book sooner (last year, when it came out) because this would have definitely been in my Top 10 of 2011. It reminded me of Eve (by Anna Carey) a another dystopian but this, THIS is 1000000x better. Seriously.

I’m so anxiously awaiting until the sequel REBEL HEART comes out this year(!). I guess it’s a good thing then that I’ve read it this year so I don’t have to wait much till the next instalment. This is fast becoming one of my favourite series. I just hope the second one doesn’t fall into the ‘second book curse’ – like a lot of them do.
 

Also, just heard that the author Moira Young lives in the UK (eep!!) so I maybe be able to meet her if she does a signing near London or Surrey. I hope so.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...