Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Thursday 12 January 2012

Review: Legend - Marie Lu

Author: Marie Lu
Release Date: November 29th 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

The two main characters carried this novel for me. They were both kick-ass, strong, smart and so alike in many different ways. I would have to share my favourite quote with you " But... sometimes it feels like we're the same person born into two different worlds". (said by June to Day)Yes, June's very privileged and rich, while Day is hardly getting by every day but their choices and decisions are always made with their family's best interests. They both care so much about their family and you can see that inking through the pages. I also admired Tess, she was so sweet and I feel so sorry for her.

 I admit, Day was my favourite by far. He was caring, a bit cocky, he's smart (I loved the bit about his real  Trial score) and he cares deeply about his family. Never have I thought that I would feel sorry for the most wanted criminal in the story , but Marie Lu just managed to make me want to hug him and cry with him. His family was so supportive and loving towards one another that I nearly cried when all shit happened. I enjoyed Day's perspective a lot more than June's, mainly because male point of views aren't really popular (I think?) in the YA market, and it was really refreshing to see that. Also, I think I'm always on the boy's side (I think it's because I'm a girl) and I always feel sorry for the guy, but not for the heroine. Haha.

June was just so intelligent (it makes me feel so stupid since I'm the same age as both her and Day, 15) yet I thought she was a bit too clueless and naive and believed everything the people around her was saying, even if it was total bullshit. She's a lot more likeable when she's talking about her protective older brother Metias (I LOVE him - why can't I have a brother like him?!?) and I enjoyed their brother-sister relationship. So sweet.

There were a few mysteries here and there about her brother's real murderer, to be honest, I guessed it  before half-way through and kept wondering how June didn't, for someone so smart and for someone being the Republic’s youngest prodigy.

One of the things that I didn't really like, was the dystopian bit. I didn't care about it. I would have  enjoyed this a lot more with just her brother's murder mystery and romance. The plague thing and everything else was just so confusing for me.

This would have been one of my all-time favourites if the dystopian/science fiction part was cut out. But oh well. I would still be reading the sequel.

So if you enjoy non-stop action, a tiny drop of romance, full of mystery and betrayals, dual teen perspectives and dystopian/science-fiction/post-apocalyptic stories, then Legend is a must-read.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...