Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Monday 13 August 2012

Review: Rift - Andrea Cremer

Author: Andrea Cremer
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal/Fantasy
Release Date: August 7th 2012
Publisher: Philomel
Pages: 431
Source: Bought

Chronicling the rise of the Keepers, this is the stunning prequel to Andrea Cremer's internationally bestselling Nightshade trilogy!

Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.

With action, adventure, magic, and tantalizing sensuality, this book is as fast-paced and breathtaking as the Nightshade novels.

Most of you know how much I HATED the ending of the Nightshade series, Bloodrose. So now you're wondering why the hell I'm reading another one of Andrea's novels AND why I'm even bothering with the prequel. My answer - I loved the world Andrea's created in Nightshade, and I was more than interested to see how it all began in this prequel. In the end, the Nightshade series is still better, but this was a very enjoyable and unputdownable read.

What I really like about RIFT was the main character Ember. Thank God she wasn't some whiny snobby bitch like Calla (from Nightshade). Ember's brave, intelligent, and just downright awesome. She's a perfect example of a fierce heroine. And it's not just Ember. What makes me love Andrea's novels is that she always makes me feel for each and everyone of her characters. I laugh with them, I cry with them, I kinda want to slap some of them. Even the minor characters all triggered an emotional response from me. And can I just say how much I love Kael? He's just Ember's friend but he is by far my favourite; he's funny and charming. Anyway, Barrow (the love interest) reminded me so much of Dimitri from VA. Which isn't really a negative thing, just something that I noticed. So if you fell in love with Dimitri (well, who hasn't?), then I think you'll swoon over this knight.

At the start of the book, I thought there would be a love triangle. BUT. It's pretty obvious from the start who Ember likes.  The other one was just there. And I kinda understand why he did what he did at the end (I won't say no more - spoilers). Though I still freaking hate him. Anyway, another one of Andrea's strongest points are her kissing/lovey scenes. She just knows how to write a good hot sexy scene. And I can't wait for RISE, just saying ;).

What brought down this to a four star rating was probably the language and writing. That's not to say the writing wasn't gorgeous (it is!) but I just found it too formal and people like me just get bored easily and lose interest. The way she described the setting was just so long and boring. But I did appreciate her world building and fighting scenes. 

I wish authors would do prequel series more. I loved this prequel to Nightshade series and also the The Infernal Devices by Cassie Clare. It just makes the story far more special in my opinion. Though I do think that even if you haven't read the Nightshade series, you can and will be able to understand this. 

Overall, RIFT is a highly creative sequel with bad ass characters that I'm sure you'll fall in love with just as much as Nightshade. 

5 comments:

  1. I have to say that I'm affraid to read this one - Nightshade series wasn't that good after first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the writing did bore me sometimes. I think Andrea made her writing a little too historial for my tastes. And I did just love Ember and Kael! And there was definitley some hot/sexy scenes between Ember and Barrow. Great review! x]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Addie! Yeah a little too historical for me too lol :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my God! I swear I never felt like I wanted to read this book... for some reason the cover doesn't call my attention. But reading your review makes me think that this book could be great.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book in two days and I've got to say I'm impressed... throughout the whole book I was in caught in the twists and turns.. GREAT BOOK!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...