Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Monday 18 June 2012

Review: Insanity - Lauren Hammond

Author: Lauren Hammond
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery/Thriller
Release Date: May 8th 2012
Publisher: S.B Addison Books
Pages: 190
Source: Bought

Sometimes love...can drive you crazy.

Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn't be more opposite.

Adelaide's mother abandoned her when she was ten years old, leaving her to be raised by her abusive and alcoholic father.
Damien on the other hand came from a wealthy family, was a local celebrity, and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him.

Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, and fiercely in love.
And they had a plan.
They were going to run away.
Be together forever.

And their plan was set in motion, until tragedy struck and for some reason, Adelaide wound up in The Oakhill Institution for the insane.
Adelaide has no idea what she did to wind up at Oakhill, but she knows one thing for sure...
She wants out.

And after Damien follows her there to aid her in escaping, Adelaide slowly begins putting together the pieces of her memory that are missing.
And it doesn't take Adelaide long to figure out that sometimes...
That one true love never dies.
 Well. This book was weird. And strange and crazy and full of WTF. I still don't know what to think about this book, but if you're looking for a really short, unique and prepared-to-have your-mind-messed-with, I think you should give Insanity a try. 

This book was really short, and it alternates between the past and the present.Where half of the book focuses on their relationship (past), and half of it tells Adelaide's story from when she's now in the Asylum and kinda going mental. I AM NOT KIDDING. Another thing that I had a major issue with. The language. God knows why, but I didn't know that the past was supposed to be set in the 1950's or so. YOU CAN NOT TELL THAT FROM THE WRITING. It read like a modern contemporary and maybe that's why some readers didn't enjoy this as much as they would have liked, me included. 

Let's move on the part that just let me down so much. You see, Adelaide and Damien fell in love. No problem with that, but they fell in love in less than a frikkin' page. Literally. Their relationship just moved so fast and so unrealistic. And the next day they started declaring their 'love' for each other. Argh. Makes me sick.

I have to say this is not for younger YA. There's some really graphic love scenes (I only just found out this is classed as New Adult - that's why!) and some disturbing scenes at that.

I will still read the sequel, BUT only just to find out what happened because even though this book had some major negative stuff, the part that really intrigue me was the plot and all that craziness. I will admit, the author is clever, and the twists and turns literally had my mouth hanging open and me thinking THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN. 

I gotta say the ending blowed my mind. I did have some theories, and I was both right and wrong on some things. For people who liked and enjoyed The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - I don't know why, and it's not particularly the storyline, just the crazy aspect. ;)



 Note to readers who've already read it: there's a part that I didn't understand, can someone explain it please? Just comment here/email me by my email at the top or on Goodreads :) Thank you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...