Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Saturday 21 July 2012

Review: My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick

Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: June 14th 2012
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Pages: 395
Source: Bought

A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.
I have to tell you guys, if you're planning to go to the beach and read, then this is the perfect book to bring. It took me less than a day to finish, while me and my family was on the beach last week I was reading this and couldn't put it down, even though my 5 year old brother was throwing sand at me (eww!). It was just that good. And so worth the sand in my hair lol.

I just love ALL of the characters. Well, except the mum and Samantha's best friend.  I kinda want to slap them both by the end. Anyway, let's talk about the Garretts. Sigh. What I would give to have a big big big family like theirs! I just loved each and every one of the Garretts. Even Mrs, Mr and all their children! They have 8(!!) kids but each one of them all had very distinct personalities and quirks that I loved! Especially George - he was one hilarious kid! 

The relationship between Jase (I love this name! Jase Jace Jase Jace!) and Samantha was just so sweet and ADORABLE. You can't help but root for them. Also, this book was hilarious. I was laughing out loud at lots of parts/scenes. Especially the sex talk scene with Jase and his dad. I could have died laughing then. 

The plot may seem simple to some people, but not me! I couldn't stop reading and couldn't put this baby down! The writing was amazing - very simple, and readable but also unique and one that's not very common in YA, or in writing in general. 

The ending/climax to the ending was very intense. Or maybe that was just me. But with this book, I didn't know what the ending would be, it's quite unpredictable and full of surprises in terms of characters (what happens to them in the end - the development of the characters from the beginning to the end is just awesome!). All in all, the ending was perfect for this book, and doesn't deserve any less. 

All in all, I look forward to whatever this author writes, and will definitely buy and read her next book! Anyway, MY LIFE NEXT DOOR is perfect for the beach and summer! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...