Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Review: My Soul To Take - Rachel Vincent

Author: Rachel Vincent
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Release Date: January 1st 2011
Publisher: Mira Books
Pages: 368
Source: Bought

She doesn’t see dead people, but...

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who’ll be next...


I've heard so much about this series, mostly good things which was why I was a bit reluctant to read it - I was a little scared WHAT IF I DIDN'T LIKE IT??. But when Kay (from K-Books) kept on gushing about it, I knew I had to read it lol. We have a lot of the same book tastes. So I went and got myself the first 3 books of the series. Using my dad's money. Sorry, Dad.

Anyway, the story about banshees or a bean sidhe was something that I've never read about before. I thought it was fairly original and such a fun take on it. It's got action, mystery, high school drama, and your typical mean cheerleader and a love triangle between two sexy guys -  what more do you want? Oh and one thing that I noticed is that it reads more like for younger YA audience. I'm not sure if it's because of the writing, or the romance or the story itself but it just does. *shrugs*. Now that doesn't necessarily mean it's a negative thing, it's just a bit of a let-down if you're a romance sexy addict like me :P.


The main character Kaylee was alright, I guess. She wasn't my favourite and there's really nothing about her that stands out. Her looks, her personality, her everything just kinda blends in the background. She's just nothing special.But at least she wasn't one of those whiny or stupid female protagonists that I read a lot about in YA (or even in Adult). Nash was the perfect guy but I didn't fall in love with him like I was hoping. :( Tod was definitely my favourite character. He's just so funny, sarcastic, and has a serious bad-ass job. I loved him. The rest of the characters were really well-rounded and all had different personalities. Hurray for parents! Yay! I love it when the parents are actually involved in the plot.


In other circumstances I would have put this book down (blame Kaylee), but the mystery aspect of it was what I was really hooked on and couldn't stop reading. The conclusion and ending was a big shock for me and I loved that I didn't figure it out! I always hate it when I figure things out too easily. The writing was also quite addictive and I applaud Rachel Vincent's talent. 
 
Because this is just the first book and the sixth book just came out, I kinda already know more or less what happens in the rest of this series. I'm still going to read them, but I don't expect to be surprised anymore. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...