Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Thursday 6 December 2012

Review: Opal - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal (Lux, #3)Title: Opal (Lux #3)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: December 11th 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal/Sci-Fi
Pages: 452
Source: Bought (kindle and paperback)
MY FAVOURITE BOOK OF 2012
NOT BIG SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BOOK 1 AND BOOK 2.
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

 
Sigh. Guys, I decided not to do one of my   'normal' reviews and instead do a '20 reasons why' thingy. I just LOVE this book so much, I can't even write a proper review.
 
So here's 20 reasons why you should read OPAL: (not that you need a reason :P)
 
 
1. I’m gonna say this again and again and AGAIN. Jennifer L. Armentrout is one hell of a writer. There’s no secret that she’s my all time favourite author ever (well duh. Have you read my 2012 End of Year Book Survey and noticed how half of the answers were of JLA and Opal? Yep.) and God knows how she does it but every book of hers just keeps on getting better and better. Her awesome, addicting and tight writing is just WOW. If we’re like this with OPAL, we’re all going to be mindblown by the time this series ends.
2. The plot and story was action-packed, fast paced and holy god INTENSE. It was definitely more complex and we're thrown in immediately. And it's not just that, there's a lot of humour and funny moments thrown in there. So everyone's happy. :)
3. The characters are what make this LUX series one of my ultimate top series ever. I was dying to get back into their world and be with them again! I wanted to kiss some of them, hug some, slap some *coughAshcough* but overall, they provided the most entertaining and memorable cast I've ever read about.
4. KATY AND DAEMON. I can never ever ever get tired of reading about them. They’re definitely my favourite YA couple and I could continue reading about them always. Their relationship goes through many stuff, but their love for each other always had me grinning like an idiot J
5. DAEMON. Our favourite alien bad boy is back. And OMG. Isn't he the swooniest? If you didn't think so, after OPAL you most definitely will. We get to see many different sides to Daemon. Even more so than in ONYX. We get to see him vulnerable, protective, jealous (always my fave!), romantic, sweet and everything. He made me swoon 99%, but that doesn't mean he's not jerky or sarcastic anymore, because he still is. God, I want my own Daemon. Too bad my neighbour is 80 years old. Too badddd.
6. I just continue to love Katy more throughout this series. First, she's a book blogger. Then she's dating a hot alien. There's more, but that's all you need to know.
7. Dee! If you’ve read ONYX (well, you have read it, right??), then you must know that Dee won’t be the same ever again. She’s not the same Dee in OBSIDIAN or ONYX, but I appreciate how her character changes and continue to grow throughout this series. I admit, at the start of OPAL, I had very mixed feelings about her, but in the end I adored her again. There was this one scene when she was so kickass and I was like ‘You go, girl!’
8. Dawson! I feel so much for him! He was so sweet and charming and nice before, but obviously after the events that happened, he's not and won't ever be the same. I grew to love him, but not as much as Daemon :)
9. There's a certain character that needs their ass kicked. Preferably by Daemon. That should be enough to make you want to read it. :)
 
10. There’s a LOT of sexy, steamy scenes. Nuff said.
11. There's a lot of lines that I loved. Here's one of my favourites:
"Maybe because I never wanted Ash, and I wanted you from the first moment I saw you - and before you start, I know I had a bad way of showing it, but you know I wanted you. Only you."
12. And:
"You've got to understand that you are who I want. Not Ash. Not anyone else." Yes. So Ash, get the message, yeah?
13. I stayed up until 2am for this. It got delivered on my Kindle at about 12am and I just HAD to read a few chapters. Then woke up (on a Tuesday) to continue and after school, I practically raced home to finish this until the night. You should know I don’t do that to any other book. SPECIAL.
14. This book made me cry twice. That's good, right?
15. There's a prom scene! And a date scene! And a club scene! *swooon*
16. Umm. Have you seen the cover? His face. His eyes. His hair. His HANDS. Dear god, his hands. (Yeah, I kinda have a thing for hands.)
17. You'll find out if Daemon says the four letter word. Or not.
18. The ending. *CRIES* Dear god, the ending. It’s just…*cries some more* Completely torn me apart. It was tense, heartbreaking and suspenseful. Hell, I didn’t think I was evenbreathing. My head hurts. My heart still hurts after days of finishing it. You guys know I’m not an emotional person, I rarely cry with books, but THIS. I finished OPAL late in the night, and that scene had me bawling and crying into my damn pillows.
19. There’s a cliffhanger at the end of OPAL. But trust me, it’s all worth it. And even though I want to knock down Jennifer’s door and demand her to give me ORIGIN right now, I still loved it. I really couldn’t see the book ending other than what she has given us. J
20. Umm. Let’s see. What else should I say to persuade you to read OPAL? Well, other than the fact that it’s my Top Book of 2012? ;)
AND THAT'S IT. SIGH. I really wanna go talk to someone about this book. Have YOU read it?

 

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED Opal SO much and I cannot wait for Origin. That cliffhanger was brutal, but I loved every second of the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review...JANA, YOU KILL ME. I love how you included (when you were talking about Dawson) "but not as much as Daemon." It's not like you and I were just talking about that or anything... ;)

    I was going to be more specific with this comment, but....SDGREDFAGREGSDAFVEWRGR!

    *giggle* his hands... Pepe does have some mighty attractive hands. Never noticed until now...

    I cannot wait to read this book. Wah. (9 more daysssss!)

    ♥Jessica(:
    Just a Booklover

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Yaaay I'm so glad it's amazing!! I can't WAIT to read this. Like seriously, I'm DYING. D: You're so lucky you got to read it!
    Awesome review Jana! xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, guys!!

    YOU ALL NEED TO READ OPAL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I love the style of your review! And the scenes and lines you mentioned are my favourites in the book :D
    Definitely my top 2012 book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad this is your top 2012 book too! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...