Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Saturday 15 December 2012

Review: Pantomime - Laura Lam

PantomimeTitle: Pantomime (Pantomime #1)
Author: Laura Lam
Release Date:  February 13th 2012
Publisher:  Strange Chemistry
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Pages: 392
Source: For review/netgalley
 
R. H. Ragona’s Circus of Magic is the greatest circus of Ellada. Nestled among the glowing blue Penglass—remnants of a mysterious civilisation long gone—are wonders beyond the wildest imagination. It’s a place where anything seems possible, where if you close your eyes you can believe that the magic and knowledge of the vanished Chimaera is still there. It’s a place where anyone can hide.

Iphigenia Laurus, or Gene, the daughter of a noble family, is uncomfortable in corsets and crinoline, and prefers climbing trees to debutante balls. Micah Grey, a runaway living on the streets, joins the circus as an aerialist’s apprentice and soon becomes the circus’s rising star.

But Gene and Micah have balancing acts of their own to perform, and a secret in their blood that could unlock the mysteries of Ellada.



This is one of the most creative, mindblowing, unique (so very!!), and thoughtful books I've ever read. I don't have anything to say but that Laura Lam is a genuis. I'm definitely looking out for the sequel and every other upcoming works of this author.

I've never read a book about a circus before, so this was all new to me, but Laura Lam's descriptions of the circus and the performers was so beautiful and easy to follow that I never had any problem following. There's a whole lot of characters that you grew to care very deeply about, and there's some bitchy ones that you hate, too. Overall, this group is certainly memorable and intruiging.

After reading a few reviews prior to reading this, I found out there would be this big WTF twist. I kinda had an idea of what it was a few pages on (with a hint planted on a page), but it wasn't until about 60 or 70% of the book that it was confirmed and I still couldn't stop my mouth from gaping open. Surprised. Shock.

Both Gene and Micah are such very vivid characters and both have such a strong narrative voice. I'm not sure which one I most love - Gene or Micah - I honestly just can't pick a favourite out of the two. I love how we both got to learn and care about them, and the dual chapters I really couldn't get enough of.

There's a lot of issues raised in here that I thought was very brave, and exceptionally well done. It opened my mind to a lot of things and I was so close to crying. That's how much I care for the characters.

The ending was very heartbreaking, but realistic. I'm glad that the author decided to go this route and I very much admire her for it. It was definitely unexpected, to be honest this book was very surprising with a lot of twists and turns in every corner.

Highly recommended and I doubt you'll forget about this book after you read it. It still haunts me (in such a good way) and I've read it months ago.

No doubt this book will be one of the best and hyped books releasing in 2013. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...